Bedford was a nice, easy project to bring me back into the world of knitting. After analyzing my wardrobe over the past few months, I realized I was in serious need of some comfy, cozy pullovers in my wardrobe and this pullover fit the bill.
I only made a few fit modifications to the pattern. The body is knit 1" longer and I cast-on fewer stitches for the sleeves. Since I'm on the petite side, the cuff and muscle proportions need to be just right so I don't look overwhelmed by the sweater. I did make a silly mistake though that ended up with me re-knitting the yoke. When I modified the cuff CO numbers, I looked at the wrong set of final numbers for the muscle, therefore I ended up with 10 less stitches than I wanted. I didn't notice until I had BO for the neck and tried it on for the first time. It fit, but the upper raglan sleeve area was a little tight. Rip, rip, rip! I kept the smaller muscle (I have my limits) and reworked the decreases for the raglan. Perfect!
When knitting the sleeves, I also worked them inside out up to the join so I could knit in the round instead. I'm not a fan of working purl stitches in the round, especially since my purl stitches tend to be a little looser than my knits. Also, it's much faster! When I got to the yoke join, I just flipped each sleeve right side out and continued with purl stitches. Easy
My gauge was a little off from the pattern, but when I tried a smaller needle, the resulting stitch did not look nice and my gauge was too tight. A nice looking stitch was more important than getting gauge, so I went with it. I knit a large gauge swatch and wet blocked, but of course I forgot to take my pre-block gauge (shame on me!). I knit up the 34 1/2" size and ended up blocking it out to 36", which is about 3" of positive ease. In this case, I wanted the body of the sweater to grow a bit, so all ended well.
I absolutely love my new sweater! It's been finished for a week and I think I've worn it three times already. Plus, heather grey goes with everything. Total win!