After a few months of looking at other peoples' projects on Kollabora, I finally am posting my first project! This dress was an overhaul of a boring dress I made a year or two ago. I used cotton eyelet and guaze, and dyed the pieces varying shades of sunshine. I'd love for you guys to check out my blog to see more about this project!
Okay so a little more tutorial:
The skirt has 5 pieces. A base skirt, left tier, and three right tiers. Would be cool with more or fewer tiers!
I did a tiny zig zag along the top and hem of each piece. The fabric is gauze, so this helped to finish the edge and gave it a slight lettuce leaf curl.
When attaching, just sew straight onto the base skirt with a straight stitch.
Close-up of tiers. The first tier started right at the seam between bodice and skirt.
Lastly the dyeing! I used white and natural colored cotton gauze, and mixed various yellow and orange shades of Rit dye and soaked the pieces for different lengths of time. My dress has three different shades of yellow, two orange, and a natural tier to coordinate with the belt.