Ukrainian Mixed Media Project "My Babcha"
by Marusya Grace Follow

For the longest time (since the beginning of college), I’ve been itching to do a mixed media project of my mother & grandmother. Finally a week before this past mother’s day, I decided to tackle this project for my mom!

Lately, I’ve been sewing a lot of flower girl dresses and projects for others, so I was excited to set aside everything for this personal project! I knew I wanted to print an old photo of my babcha on linen and hand embroider details of a Ukrainian shirt, but other than that I didn’t have much of a plan, and decided to wing it as I went along.

Unfortunately, my printer would not take my linen, (I freaked a little because I was afraid I broke the printer). As an alternative, I printed on muslin and a water-soluble interfacing. I chose to work with the interfacing because the interfaced muslin print was a bit blurry.

I basted the interfacing to the linen. And since I opted for the interfacing, I had to stitch all the details (not just the shirt). I first machine-stitched the facial and shirt details using my domestic sewing machines. I did this by disengaging the feed dog and manually guided my material through the machine.

Read more on my blog here

I'll post my final mixed media project when I'm finished. Hopefully it's a lot better than my first one!

Discussion 0

×

Welcome to Kollabora

Get the best DIY projects, patterns, and inspiration straight to your inbox!