I was craving a super simple project for my autumn wardrobe, so I picked up some plaid suiting and went to town on a couple of rectangles.
I cut two pieces that were roughly 28"x2.5" for the waistband and used a lightweight interfacing to add some structure. The two skirt pieces were around 26"x54" if memory serves correctly (they may have been a little longer or shorter than 26", but they were definitely about 54" wide). I left them as full rectangles and just gathered the tops. Added hidden pockets at the side seams and a hidden zip on the left side (I used the pocket pieces from Deer and Doe's Jupe Chardon for the pockets).